Christmas Recipes: Chocolate Truffles
By Paul Curran
Christmas recipe makes: 2 dozen
Calories per truffle: 65
Preparation time: 30 – 60 minutes
Cooking time: 0 minutes
Suitable for freezing
Christmas recipe ingredients:
- chocolate, bitter, plain or milk 225g (8 oz)
- double cream, 75 ml (3 fl oz)
- brandy, 75 ml (3 fl oz)
or rum,orange liqueur, coffee liqueur, coconut liqueur
- cocoa powder
- chopped nuts
- coconut, dessicated or grated
- chocolate vermicelli or grated choclate for rolling
- chocolate, plain, milk or white (350 g (12 oz)
or mixture of all three
Christmas recipe instructions:
- Truffle Mixture: Add the cream to grated chocolate and melt in a bowl over water at boiling point, stirring until smooth. Allow to cool and thicken.
- Add your alcohol of choice and whisk until the mixture is strong enough to stay 'up' when a strand of mixture is pulled up by the whisk. Then put the mixture into a shallow tin (covered) and cool till firm.
- Rolled Truffles: Place teaspoonful size amounts of truffle mixture onto a tray sprinkled with cocoa powder and roll into ball shapes. Alternatively you can substitute the cocoa with grated chocolate, chopped nuts, coconut, or chocolate vermicelli. Cool in a refrigerator for at least two hours.
- Dipped Truffles: Roll the truffle mixture into 2.5 cm (1 inch) size balls and freeze overnight until rock hard. [If you wish you could push some edible decor into the balls before cooling, such as nuts, ginger or cherries.]
- Prepare some melted chocolate over water at boiling point. If you can, check the temperature is in the range 46-49 degrees centigrade (115-120 F) or for white chocolate, 43 degrees centigrade.
- Taking two or three truffles at a time, use cocktail sticks to dip them into the melted chocolate before placing them on non-stick paper. Transfer to a refrigerator for cooling for at least two hours to harden. Repeat for the remaining truffles.
- Present the truffles in paper cases and store in boxes. Keep in a refrigerator for up to ten days.
(c) Paul Curran, CEO of Cuzcom Internet Publishing Group and webmaster at Gifts-for-Christmas.com, bringing you recipes and unique gifts for christmas including their
online home collectibles and russian gifts stores.
This article may be published electronically or in print in
its entirety as long as the author bylines in the resource
box are included and urls kept live. A courtesy copy of your
publication or web page URL would be appreciated.